Main: (631) 617.5269 - NYC Office: (646) 998.8123

Cambiar a la versión en español del sitio web

Frequently Asked Questions about Deferred Action

  • What is deferred action?

    Deferred action is a determination to postpone the action of removal of an individual with a discretionary act of the prosecution. Allows a non-US citizen to temporarily continue in the US as a legal immigrant.

  • Who is eligible for deferred action?

    According to the memorandum of June 15, 2012, in order to be eligible for deferred action, people:


    They have arrived in the United States under the age of sixteen;


    Have resided continuously in the United States for at least five years prior to January 1, 2010;


    Who are currently in school, who have graduated from high school, have obtained a certificate of education for general development (GED), or honorably discharged veterans of the Coast Guard or the Armed Forces of the U.S;


    Not have been convicted of a felony, a significant misdemeanor, recurring misdemeanor, or otherwise represent a threat to national security or public safety;


    Deferred action is granted on a case-by-case basis.


  • How long is the deferred action?

    The deferred action will be granted for three years of increments and is renewed every three years.

  • Can individuals with deferred action apply for employment authorization?

    Yes, you can apply for a work permit. Every time a deferred action is renewed, work permits must be renewed.

  • If people are granted deferred action, will they be eligible to obtain driver's licenses?

    The decision to grant driver's licenses varies from State to State.

  • If the people who qualify to be eligible for state tuition in colleges and universities?

    New York already allows it, but this can vary from State to State.

  • How can individuals prove their eligibility for deferred action?

    Diplomas, GED certificates, financial records, immigration records, medical records, school records, official transcripts of the school, employment records, military records, photographs and affidavits can help.

  • What are the government charges associated with deferred action?

    $ 465.00 (Work Permit + Biometrics).

  • Can people in deportation proceedings or subject to a final deportation order apply for Deferred Action?

    Yes, they can do it. For more information, contact Immigration Legal Services of Long Island at (631) 617-5269 or (646) 998-8123.

Need Help? Contact us now!

Main: (631) 617.5269 -

NYC Office: (646) 998.8123

Submitting Form...

The server encountered an error.

Form received.

Contact Information

Immigration Legal Services of Long Island, Inc.

P.O. Box 1294,

Water Mill, NY 11976

Principal (631) 617.5269

Oficina en NYC: (646) 998.8123

Fax 631.922.8813


Submitting Form...

The server encountered an error.

Form received.